Saturday, August 24, 2013

In Just a Few Minutes....

Matt will be walking through the halls of his new school and he will be meeting his teacher! He is so excited and I am so anxious!  I spent all day yesterday preparing.

I will update tonight how it goes!!!

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

It went well.

Matt's ARD went well.  I have heard so many horror stories and I really hope that we don't end up being one of them.  On a lot of things we have the wait and see, lets be flexible approach, which I am okay.  This is Matt's first time in school and I really don't know what supports he is going to need.  They are going to do further evals and we will have another ARD in December.
For Now...

Matt has a flexible schedule so we can see what is best for him, he has to be at school by 9:15.
We are going to try having the home heath nurse there and not having him there.  I am really not sure what will be better.
He will have speech for an hour a week.
He will get his feeds.
They will use his cooling vest.

We are really just going to play things by ear.

Meet the teacher is Saturday and school starts Monday.

Monday, August 19, 2013

It's Tomorrow

Matt's ARD is tomorrow.  I am very nervous and unprepared.  I have been trying to pull stuff together for weeks, but being here I realize tomorrow could go really bad or really good.

Putting your child  in school is a hard decision, I am so excited for him.  I know he is going to love it.  At the same time it is scary to hand over your child's care to someone you don't even know.  

I will post an update tomorrow.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Dreaded ARD!

At the end of school last year, I told the therapist I would rather wait until after summer to do Matt's ARD.  Matt can change so much in the summer I wanted his ARD to be relevant to his needs and not his past needs.  I was told that I had two weeks before school starts to have his ARD and it wouldn't be a problem.

School starts on the 26th, I called last week and found out the people who are required for the ARD will not be back until a week before school.   I am a little worried how things will work out.  I can't even start calling to get it scheduled until Monday and that leaves 5 days to get it scheduled and done.

I am also nervous because I don't know what to ask for.  I know I want Matt to go half days and I don't want absences to lead to truancy.  Other than that I just don't know.  I feel like a fish swimming into a shark tank.

Summer has been going well, minus all the sickness we have been dealing with.  Today Matt hasn't had much energy, there isn't a fever, and I hope one doesn't follow.